Paintings in Hospitals has been working with the Victoria and Albert museum for the last 10 years to co-curate exhibitions in the health and social care environment. Each exhibition has helped the museum to reach out to new audiences and enabled patients, visitors and staff to experience museum-standard art outside the traditional gallery environment.
April - September 2012
Transformations: digital prints from the V&A collection
Paintings in Hospitals exhibited prints from the V&A Computer Art collection at the Great Western Hospital in Wiltshire between April and September 2012.
The exhibition, called Transformations: digital prints from the V&A collection was the first to take place outside London and brought together a range of artists who work with computers as an expressive and experimental medium.
All of the prints featured in the exhibition had never been exhibited outside of the V&A, and in some cases were displayed for the first time.
Find out more about the impact the exhibition has had in the evidence section of the website.
January - May 2010
Contemporary Women Printmakers: exploring the female condition
The exhibition Contemporary Women Printmakers: exploring the female condition, took place between January and May 2010 at the maternity unit in St George’sHospital. Comments collected at the end of the exhibition and interviews with members of staff highlighted that the project had the following outcomes:
- The maternity unit felt more homely
- The artworks displayed acted as a diversion therapy for the women in labour
- The exhibition stimulated conversations and improved communication between members of staff and with patients
Staff and patients alike felt privileged to have artworks from such a prestigious art institution displayed in their local environment
History of our work with the V&A
- The Breckman Prints, St George’s Hospital (7 July - 21 August 2001)
- London Transport Posters, Bolingbroke Hospital (3 September 2002 - 2 September 2003)
- Stations of the Cross, Royal Brompton Hospital (10 September 2002 - 31 January 2003
- Story & Tradition in Contemporary Printmaking, Homerton Hospital, London (29 August - 15 December 2006)
- Contemporary Women Printmakers: Exploring the Female Condition, St Georges Hospital, Tooting (1 December 2009 - 31 may 2010)
- Transformations: Digital Prints from the V&A Collection, Great Western Hospital, Swindon (18 April - 13 September 2012)
- Transformations: Digital Prints from the V&A Collection, Royal Brompton Hospital (14 October - 16 November 2013)